1. The objective of a firm’s management should be to only undertake the projects that ________ the market value of shareholders’ equity.
c. do not change
d. provide zero change to
e. none of the above
2. The decision rule that management should use with net present value (NPV) is to undertake only those projects with a(n) ________ NPV.
d. negative or zero
e. none of the above
3. The net present value (NPV) amount represents the amount by which the project is expected to ________ shareholder wealth (assuming positive NPV for this question).
a. provide zero change to
d. provide zero change to or decrease
4. Net cash inflows from operations can be computed in which of the following ways?
a. Cash Flow = Revenues – Cash Expenses – Taxes
b. Cash Flow = Net Income + Noncash Expenses
c. Cash Flow = Revenue – Total Expenses – Taxes + Noncash Expenses
d. all of the above
5. Which of the following is not true?
a. Multiple IRRs for a project may exist when the project’s required rate of return is high.
b. IRR implicitly assumes that cash flows can be reinvested at the IRR rate.
c. Ranking projects based on NPV is not always the appropriate way to pick which projects to undertake.
d. When used to compare two projects, ACC assumes that a project with a short live can be repeated at a later date.
6. Which of the following would not be expected to affect the decision of whether to undertake an investment?
a. Income tax rates.
b. Cost of capital.
c. Sales reductions in other products caused by this investment.
d. Cost of the feasibility study which was conducted for a project.
7. The cost of capital does not reflect any market related risk of the project, or “beta.”
8. In computing a project’s cost of capital the risk to use is:
a. the risk of the financing instruments used to fund the project
b. the risk of the project’s cash flows
c. a risk free rate
d. a historical risk rate using T-bills
e. none of the above
9. When a firm has to ration capital, it should:
a. Fund the set of projects within the limits of capital that produces the greatest overall net present value.
b. Fund the set of projects within the limits of capital that produces the greatest overall internal rate of return (IRR).
c. Rank the projects based on net present value and fund as many of them in that order as possible.
d. Rank the projects based on internal rate of return (IRR) and fund as many of them in that order as possible.
10. If a project requires a $50,000 increase in inventory, this increase in inventory . . .
a. represents a cash outflow for the project.
b. represents a cash inflow for the project.
c. represents a cash outflow for the project but must be adjusted for taxes.
d. represents a cash inflow for the project but must be adjusted for taxes.
e. should be ignored in the evaluation of the project.
11. The ________ is the rate that prevails in a zero-inflation scenario. The ________ is the rate that one actually observes.
a. nominal, inflation
b. real rate, expected
c. nominal, real rate
d. real rate, nominal
12. If the nominal cost of capital is 16% per year and the expected rate of inflation is 5% per year, then compute the real cost of capital (rounded to nearest tenth of a %).
e. none of the above
13. When a project has multiple internal rates of return:
a. the analyst should choose the highest rate to compare with the firm’s cost of equity
b. the analyst should choose the lowest rate to compare with the firm’s cost of capital
c. the analyst should choose the rate that seems most “reasonable” given the project’s cash flows, to compare with the firm’s cost of equity
d. the analyst should compute the project’s net present value and accept the project if its NPV is greater than $0.
e. none of the above
14. Which of the following statements is most correct?
a. Sunk costs must be included in the project’s cash flow.
b. R&D expenditures cannot be a part of the initial cost of a project.
c. Opportunity costs are sunk costs and therefore should not be included in the cost of the project.
d. Depreciation is not a cash expense.
e. All of the above statements are false.
15. Suppose the firm’s cost of capital is stated in nominal terms, but the project’s cash flows are expressed in real dollars. If a nominal rate is used to discount real cash flows and there is inflation (assume positive inflation), the calculated NPV would
a. be biased upward
b. be biased downward
c. be correct
d. be possibly biased; either upward or downward
e. none of the above
16. The correct method to handle overhead costs in capital budgeting is to:
a. allocate a portion to each project.
b. allocate them to projects with the highest NPVs.
c. ignore all except identifiable incremental amounts.
d. ignore them in all cases.
17. Which of the following statements is normally correct for a project with a positive NPV?
a. IRR exceeds the cost of capital.
b. Accepting the project has an indeterminate effect on shareholders.
c. The traditional payback period exceeds the life of the project.
d. The present value index equals one.
18. Capital budgeting proposals for investment projects should be evaluated as if the project were financed:
a. entirely by debt.
b. entirely by debt, adjusting for taxes.
c. half by debt and half by equity.
d. with the highest cost source of funds, to be safe.
e. the financing and investment decisions should be viewed separately.
19. When projects are mutually exclusive, can be undertaken only once, and capital is unconstrained, selection should be made according to the project with the:
a. longer life.
b. larger initial size.
c. highest IRR.
d. highest NPV.
e. highest PVI (present value index).
20. Which of the following can be deduced about a three-year investment project that has a two year traditional payback period?
a. The NPV is positive.
b. The IRR is greater than the cost of capital.
c. Both ‘a’ and ‘b’ can be deduced.
d. Neither ‘a’ nor ‘b’ can be deduced.
21. If a project has a cost of $50,000 and a present value index of 1.4, then:
a. its cash inflows are $70,000.
b. the present value of its cash inflows is $30,000.
c. its IRR is 20%.
d. its NPV is $20,000.
22. If two projects offer the same, positive NPV, then:
a. they also have the same IRR.
b. they have the same traditional payback period.
c. they are mutually exclusive projects.
d. they add the same amount to the value of the firm.
e. all the above
23. The likely effect of discounting nominal cash flows with real interest rates (assuming positive NPV) will be to:
a. make an investment’s NPV appear more attractive.
b. make an investment’s NPV appear less attractive.
c. correctly calculate an investment’s NPV if inflation is expected.
d. correctly calculate an investment’s NPV, regardless of expected inflation.
24. Which of the following is representative of how depreciation expense is handled in the face of inflation?
a. It increases annually with the rate of inflation.
b. It decreases annually in nominal terms.
c. The depreciable base is not altered by inflation.
d. The real value of the depreciation is fixed.
25. When analyzing a capital project, an increase in net working capital associated with the project:
a. is not a relevant cash flow.
b. is a relevant cash outflow.
c. is a relevant cash inflow.
d. is a relevant cash outflow that must be adjusted for taxes.
e. is a relevant cash inflow that must be adjusted for taxes.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.